Friday, March 28, 2008

Dandelion Wishes

In the innocent fun of motherhood, I faithfully teach my children about the tooth fairy, Santa, and Dandelion wishes. There is a free wish in every Dandelion and if you make a wish and blow out the seeds you can get it.
Today, however, I realized that my son always wishes for the same thing, "I wish that everyone would be my friend." I think that is so sweet and at the same time I realized that everyone has the same wish. I don't know how many times I wished that I could be sweet enough for this person or that person to be my friend and it just doesn't come true. In keeping with the harmony of childhood, for now, I intend to let him believe that this wish will always come true. And for myself, I hope and pray that I will always be that friend for anyone who tries to be mine; I will teach him that to have friends you must be a friend; and I will be there for him when everyone does not be his friend and the harshness of society takes its toll on him. But for now, I am happy that he and I are best friends.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

AWWWWWW that is the best thing to teach him! To have friends you must be a friend! That is exactly right! You are such a great Mom!

Kay said...

Hi, Your friend Melissa directed me to your blog. I am following the progress of your "Princess" block. I love the colors and subject that you chose for that block. I have a 20dd who thinks she IS a princcess! :) So I just stopped in to say hello and tell you how pretty your block is.

Tara said...

Hi Wendy, thanks for the encouraging comment today! I'm a newbie at blogging - am loving it!

I love this post - I also have a "love everybody, let's be friends" child. I love that character quality in her. No matter what, we always have a friend in Jesus. That's been such a comfort to me (& her) during lonely times when friends & family feel far away.

Blessings,
Tara