
Ok, I wasn't going for the "World's Straightest line" award. LOL I actually didn't quite care how straight it was just as long as it went relatively next to the driveway. Yes, I dug most of this ditch. It has been my latest project. This is the story behind these cannas. First, Melissa was moving out of town and gave me two cannas (and a lot of other beautiful plants). They just kept multiplying more and more each year. This actually is only about half of the cannas we have this year all around the yard and stuff. So, how beautiful will this be when they are all at least 3 feet high and bursting with red flowers? I can't wait and I will definitely be sharing pictures with you all. The ditch is approximately 14 yards long.

The first tree we bought as a couple is this beautiful Fruitless Mulberry. All seeded up right now it is growing up so fast. (tear, tear)

And, of course, one of my all time favorite plants is my grapevine. My husband and I married when I was 25. He is so sweet. He wanted to buy me a birthday present for each year he had missed (yup all 25) and this grapevine is one of them. I am so happy to see it start to come alive each year.

Of course these trees are evergreens (and I actually would love to replace them since they are really bad for our already depleted desert soil) but I thought it made a great springtime picture- symbolizing my children spending more and more time outdoors.

And playing with our beloved dog "Cool." Joseph is such a good boy.
3 comments:
Dear Wendy!
Thank you very much for your visit to my blog and your very appreciative words on my garden!
Ah, I see that we share the same passion: gardening & embroidery and crazy quilting! I very much like your work, too!
I am looking forward to welcoming you in my garden again very soon! ;-))
Best wishes from Germany,
Anita
Hi Wendy. Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. FWIW, I'm not a big coffee drinker either (except for the occasional vanilla latte), being British I do love my tea. I'm also very partial to cake - except blueberry muffins with only one blueberry, because they're just not fair ;)
Way to go you on that trench digging. That's a fair old length. You're a braver woman than me. That said, I would never dig a trench to plant shrubs. I'm not in the least bit greenfingered. The only plant I've ever kept alive is a cactus and that's because I leave it to it's own devices! There is no hope for me and growing things.
xMx
Hi Wendy, I'll bet those cannas will be beautiful all in bloom and well worth the work! I smiled at your mulberry photo....that was our first tree, too, when we lived in San Diego. (It's quite huge now!) We hauled it home from the store in our little red wagon....quite an adventure. One only has to live in a desert climate to really appreciate growing things and water!
You sure have cute children!
Post a Comment